Friday 29 June 2012

This post is not about exercise, fitness, health or spirituality | Jo ...

Photo by Tony George used under Creative Commons license

I practice yoga. And it occurred to me recently that yoga really influences how I work with clients.

Your post-Enlightenment self has probably put yoga in a box with running, weight training, pilates, and aerobics. And I suspect some yoga classes are like that.

I?ve been fortunate to have taken yoga classes with folks who don?t really see it that way ? Karen Smereka at Yoga Connection, Havi Brooks at The Fluent Self (unless I?m mistaken, pretty well everything Havi does is yoga), Louise who taught an ante-natal yoga and active birth class in Birmingham back when I was pregnant (forgive me, my kid is about to turn 15)

Here?s some of what I?ve learned

Meet yourself where you are

Your aim is [fill in the blank]. You probably won?t get there but it?s good to have that in mind.

Asana = home: you might be working hard but you should be comfortable

If it hurts come out of the pose

It?s up to you to make the modifications and use the props that you need

What you resist persists

Remember to breathe

Even just thinking about your body doing the pose is beneficial

Advanced practice is not being able to get into some complicated pose; it?s about how you stand in line at the post-office.

That probably makes no sense to you at all.

Don?t worry. I?m going to post about each of those things and ramble on a bit about how they make a difference.

If you don?t want to miss any, subscribe to my weekly blog post round up, or like?my Facebook page.

mega millions winners anthony davis palm sunday toure patti smith lottery winners lottery winners

No comments:

Post a Comment